Documentary filmmakers worldwide who focus on human rights can submit their works to this contest.
The Docudays UA International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival, organized by the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, will take place March 23 to 30 in Kiev, Ukraine.
Categories include docu/life, docu/right, docu/short (films up to 45 minutes long) and the national category docu/Ukraine. The winners in these categories will receive cash prizes of US$1,000. There is also the Andrei Matrosov prize and the audience award of US$1,000 each.
Competitive films must have been produced between 2016 and 2017.
The deadline is Nov. 30.
For more information, click here.
Docudays UA International Human Rights Documentary Film Festival is held annually in the last week of March in Kyiv. On completion, Docudays UA traditionally presents the best movies in the regions of Ukraine within the Docudays UA Travelling Festival. Films are demonstrated from October to December (inclusive).
To promote popularization and development of documentary film and to raise the level of respect for human rights in Ukraine.
We create opportunities for every person in Ukraine to watch the most talented and present-day documentary films from all over the world. This contributes to development of critical thinking, creation of active citizen position, and appreciation of highest value of human dignity. By realizing our mission we promote popularization and development of documentary film and to increase of the level of respect for human rights in Ukraine.
The 15th Docudays UA will take place in Kyiv Cinema House on March 23-30, 2018.
Festival is non-political and non-profit.
- Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights;
- Non-Government Оrganization “Pivden”;
- Charitable organization “Charity and Health Found”;
- Centre for Modern Information Techniques and Visual Arts.
Every year, organizers of the upcoming Festival create Organizing Committee consisting of representatives of the Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, Non-Government Оrganization “South”, Kherson Regional Charity and Health Foundation (KRCHF), Centre for Modern Information Techniques and Visual Arts and invited experts in documentary, human rights, management and fundraising. All decisions on the Festival program, guests, jury members, seminars and workshops are adopted by the Organizing Committee.
- Films made in 2016 – 2017.
- Only films not screened earlier in competition programs of other Ukrainian festivals, on Ukrainian TV, Ukrainian cinema and internet can participate in international competition programs.
- Ukrainian film premieres are given preference in considering application for the National competition.
- There is no restriction on genre, running time or year of production for non-feature films participating in non-competition program, films of any timing unrestricted in the year of production are allowed notwithstanding the fact whether the film was screened earlier in competition programs of other Ukrainian festivals, on Ukrainian TV or Ukrainian cinema.
- A film is allowed to be submitted to the Selection Committee only one single time. If a film was not accepted for the competition, the application next year will not be considered.
- Films that were made to order, or represent report on activities of some organizations, or realization of certain projects, spread pronounced propaganda, lobby political or commercial interests, instructional and training films are debarred from participation.
- All DVD copies and online-links to film copies sent to the Festival will be kept in the Festival’s archives.
- The Festival has right to use short fragments of selected films, not longer than 3 min., for Festival-advertising purposes.
- The festival has the right to upload all the films included in its film program to its online library. The resource is administrated by Docudays UA and functions from the first day of the Festival until the beginning of the next year’s Festival. The purpose of the online library is to provide online access to festival film program solely to the accredited participants and guests during the festival week. The term of a film’s storage in the online library is automatically extended to one year if the film’s rights holders do not express objections to it. Accordingly, the persons accredited by the festival get year-long access to viewing festival materials online (starting with the opening day of the Festival). The access is individual and cannot be transferred to third parties. None of the materials in the online library can be copied, published elsewhere, downloaded, posted, transferred, demonstrated, accessed by or distributed to any third parties.
Application submission means you comply with the Festival Regulations and acknowledge the Festival right to use submitted materials in non-commercial purposes.
- DOCU/LIFE (competition presents full-length creative documentaries where problems with human rights observance are shown with artistic means of expression).
- DOCU/RIGHT (competition presents feature-length documentaries focused on problems with human rights observance, paying attention to such problems and the struggle for fundamental rights and freedoms).
- DOCU/SHORT (this competition presents documentaries of no more than 45 minutes of running time).
- DOCU/UKRAINE (national competition presents documentaries made in Ukraine or in co-production with Ukraine).
- DOCU/BEST – the best from international human rights documentary film festivals.
- DOCU/ART – documentaries about art and artists.
- DOCU/KIDS – documentary films for children.
- Retrospective screenings.
- DOCU/LIFE Competition Jury (3 people).
- DOCU/RIGHT Competition Jury (3 people).
- DOCU/SHORT Competition Jury (3 people).
- DOCU/UKRAINE Competition Jury (3 people).
- Student jury (5 people).
Organizing Committee invites well-known Ukrainian and foreign filmmakers and human rights activists as jury members. Student jury is formed by the Organizing Committee according to recommendations of youth organizations.
- DOCU/LIFE Competition Jury Award. 1000 USD in UAH equivalent.
- DOCU/RIGHT Competition Jury Award. 1000 USD in UAH equivalent.
- DOCU/SHORT Competition Jury Award. 1000 USD in UAH equivalent.
- DOCU/UKRAINE Competition Jury Award. 1000 USD in UAH equivalent.
- Andriy Matrosov Award (established by the Organizing Committee. Andriy Matrosov was the Festival producer. He perished in traffic accident on February 16, 2010). 1000 USD in UAH equivalent.
- Students Jury Award. 1000 USD in UAH equivalent.
- Audience Award (by results of the audience polling). 1000 USD in UAH equivalent.
Organizations or private persons are welcome to present their own special awards (prizes).
Application and selection procedures
Film are selected by the Selection Committee consisting of five members. The Organizing Committee invites documentary and human rights experts to be members of the Selection Committee. The Organizing Committee approves the Festival Program and determines the order of screenings.
Submission deadline is November 30, 2017.
Docudays UA submission
- Create personal account Docudays UA and fill out the Online Entry Form. Your film will be accepted by the The Selection Committee only if you provide online Entry form.
- The application form must include a web link to the film, which is a necessary requirement for consideration of the film. We only accept closed links in Vimeo / YouTube. Links to film downloads at file sharing services (WeTransfer, MegaUpload, etc.) will not be considered by the commission. Please make sure that your link will work until the end of March 2018. It is also possible, albeit unnecessary, to send a DVD copy. If you are sending a DVD copy of your film, please send it to the address: Darya Bassel, 11 Mala Zhytomyrska str., office 10, Kyiv 01001, Ukraine. If the film is sent by regular mail, it must be marked with a note, “For cultural purposes only. No commercial value.” All letters and packages must be addressed to Darya Bassel. The film copy must be sent no later than November 30, 2017.
- If your film is selected, you’ll have to comply with the Festival Regulations.
- In case of any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All letters and parcels must have mark: for Darya Bassel.
Important! Do not use courier delivery service! Send films and materials by regular mail only!
Films mailing, insurance and return
The applicant bears all mailing expenses for sending films to the Festival. To reduce mailing expenses, including customs duties, please indicate merely symbolic (token) value of package (for example, $1). The Organizing Committee covers insurance expenses for copies on DCP, and 16 or 35 mm films. These copies are to be returned by the organizers within 30 days after the end of the Festival to address indicated in your entry form at the Festival’s expense. It would be expedient to use diplomatic channels of the sender’s country of residence for mailing purposes. If the sender uses mail, please, mark the parcel: “For cultural purposes only. No commercial value.” Important! Do not use courier delivery service! Send films and materials by mail only!
During the Festival, the same film may be screened no more than three times. Film copyright owners agree that their films are to be shown in Ukrainian translation. Translation costs are covered by Festival Organizing Committee. Translation costs for the films made in Ukraine should be covered by the producers of the film. Guests with accreditation have access to the Video Library (also online video library) with festival films. The Festival does not pay screening fees as it is non-profit. As a rule, the festival does not pay money to authors for film screenings, because it is non-commercial and non-profit. Therefore, the conditions of film screenings are discussed directly with the films’ authors and rights holders.
Invitation and participation
Directors, scriptwriters or producers of the films selected for participation in competition are invited as the Festival participants. The Organizing Committee covers their accommodation, meal and travel expenses, but provides no per diem payments. Only one representative from each film or project may be invited at the Festival expense. All decisions on the Festival guests, jury members, or trainers are made by the Organizing Committee.
Advertising and promotion
The Organizing Committee can prepare and give to television stations special advertising reels (up to 3 min) of selected films, using the copies at the Organizing Committee disposal. Short (1 min or less) fragments of selected films can be used by mass media for Festival-advertising purposes and for showing before film screening. Advertising of films and organizations participating in the Festival is free of charge, all other advertising are to be paid for at a fixed rate.
The Travelling Festival
After the end of the Festival in Kyiv, the Organizing Committee carries out the Travelling Docudays UA throughout Ukrainian regions (oblasts). The screenings are held in cinema halls, houses of culture, universities, schools, youth clubs, book stores, libraries, penal colonies and educational facilities for future penitentiary workers and followed by discussions on human rights. The Travelling Festival is non-profit event. However, to reduce renting costs for cinema halls, the organizers reserve the right to allow cinema owners to sell entrance tickets provided that gains are not exceeding operational costs. The Organizing Committee gets no profits from such ticket sales.
Please, indicate in the Entry Form your consent or intention for participation of your film in the Travelling Festival.
The film copies and DVDs sent to the Festival and prepared for needs of the Travelling Festival are to be kept in the Festival archives. These copies can be used by organizers (Ukrainian Helsinki Human Rights Union, Non-Government Оrganization “Pivden”, Kherson Regional Charity and Health Foundation (KRCHF), Centre for Modern Information Techniques and Visual Arts) in their subsequent work related to the purposes and objectives of their organizations for strictly educational, not commercial reasons.
Any issue not mentioned in Regulations is to be considered by the Festival Organizing Committee in accordance to procedures of the international festivals. Filled and signed Entry Form means that applicant agrees with the Festival rules stated in Regulations.
Official Festival web-site