Our next traineeship program begins in September 2018. You can apply from December 1, 2017 to January 29, 2018.
Applications may be made online only and within the given timeframe, using the application link. Written applications sent by mail will not be accepted.
Before you apply you should read all of the information and guidance about your International Traineeship on this page:
Deutsche Welle is an international broadcaster, offering information in 30 languages. As a result, our trainees are equally international, feeling at home in different cultures and working in different languages.
You need to be multilingual if you’re aiming to take part in DW’s traineeship – you’ll be working in English as well as another DW broadcast language. You also need to be proficient in German because our seminars are held in German and English.
English native speakers who have acquired a basic working knowledge of German prior to the start of the traineeship
• German native speakers with excellent English skills (i.e. for live reporting)
• Native speakers of another DW program language (specifically Turkish, Russian, Farsi, Kiswahili and Hausa) with a good, working knowledge of both English and German.
Proof of language skills
• When applying online we ask you to estimate your language skills according to the criteria we list.
• In the second stage of the application process we ask you to provide samples of your work in English and/or German.
• In the third stage (assessment center) exercises are conducted in English and German. Your proficiency in other languages such as Arabic, Chinese or Spanish is judged by DW editors who are native speakers.
• The selection interview in the fourth and final stage is conducted in German or English.
Please find out more about job and training opportunities at Deutsche Welle on this page: